Chemical Injury Information
Below are some informative articles, that we hope will help you have a better understanding of Chemical Injury.
To remove confusion, we need to clarify that there are two different categories of Chemical Injury.
1. Chemical Injury affects people of all ages and both genders.
Clinical toxicologists follow the principle: the dose makes the poison. The greater the toxic chemical exposure (dose) an individual has, the greater their response to the poison will be. In the chart below, you will notice that the response progressively increases as the dose increases.
Many people view toxins in their environment as always being out around them, but never being able to enter their body.
Everyone is exposed to thousands of toxic chemicals on a daily basis. Some people appear to handle the exposures without demonstrating any negative health effects; and yet other people experience a lot of negative health effects upon exposure.
Frequently when someone reacts to perfume or to other consumer products that contain toxic chemicals, it is assumed that he/she is having an allergic reaction. However, there is a strong possibility that his/her reaction is not an allergic reaction, but a toxic reaction. In both allergic reactions and toxic reactions, there is the similar experience of being exposed to something and having a reaction to that exposure. Although the two types of reactions may have some similarities, they are very different.
A chemically injured person’s unique requirements are many. In a nutshell, they require as pure as possible environment in which to live, work, socialize, etc. Food, water and air must be as free as possible from toxic chemical contamination.
Currently, the Chemically Injured struggle to find any degree of accommodation in our health system, government programs or in society. Their two greatest medical challenges that need to be addressed are the housing needs and the health care needs.
Frequently, the terms “natural remedies” and “alternative remedies” are used interchangeably and are viewed as being the same. So are they the same? No! They are not the same. In actual fact, there is a lot of difference between the two, and they should never be used interchangeably. Therefore we need to learn how to distinguish between the two terms.
Chemical Injury (Chemical Sensitivity) is highly stigmatized. This stigma is very pervasive. It hinders the chemically injured from receiving the support they desperately need from the health care systems, governments, family and society. It also hinders solid medical research into diagnostic testing, effective treatments and so on.
11) Fact or Myth
Many people believe that chemical injury (chemical sensitivity) is a psychiatric disorder. They claim that it is erroneous to think that the symptoms experienced are caused by exposure to toxic chemicals found in some consumer products, such as perfume, laundry detergent, or fabric softener. Often statements are made such as, “No one can be allergic to that many things”; and “It’s all in their head.”
Since you don’t want to inadvertently make the Chemically Injured person sicker, we developed some guiding principles for you to follow in your preparation for a visit with him or her. These are not rules – only guiding principles. However, you should always keep in mind that the sicker the person is, the stricter the guidelines must be followed!
Steps Regarding Skin
Sometimes when a person wears perfume, cologne, or any other scented product, the person considers it their own "personal" scent. However, everyone around them will be breathing the scent as well. Consequently, their "personal" scent is no longer personal – it affects others.
Perfumes and scented products have been around for centuries. So why are they now becoming a problem? The reason is that centuries ago perfumes were made very naturally using plant oils, flower petals, herbs and spices.
Frequently, chemical injury (also called chemical sensitivity) is viewed as a mysterious health condition. Some believe that the cause has yet to be discovered and the symptoms are a baffling puzzle and not explainable. Also there is often the perception that the health professionals can’t provide treatment for those affected, because so little is known about it.
However, this is actually not the case if you consider the evidence. The existing toxicological information regarding laboratory test animals is very revealing.
© Copyright Health Risk Navigation Inc.